• Increase font size
  • Decrease font size
  • Print
  • RSS
  • Apply for an Open Burning Permit

    After you have reviewed the Pre-application Guidance and determined that you need an Open Burning Permit, apply for your permit online, in person, or by mail or fax.  Cash, check, debit/credit Mastercard and Visa are accepted forms of payment.  Prior to applying for your permit you will need to know the name and phone number of your Fire District.

    Permit Expiration

    Residential open burning permits are valid for 30 days.  Construction/Agricultural open burning permits expire 90 days after being issued.

    Post-Burn Report

    Following the open burning, please print, complete and submit the Open Burning Report to PDEQ.

    Open Burning Permits

    Apply and Pay Online for an Open Burning Permit

    To apply and pay online, simply complete the application in the link below and enter credit card information (Visa, Mastercard). You will print and save your permit and receipt at your convenience. 

    Online Permitting Portal (See DEQ Create an Application) https://permits.pima.gov/acaprod/ 

    PDF instructions for online application process

    Apply In Person for an Open Burning Permit

    To apply in person, you may download and print the application and complete it prior to visiting our office.

    To complete the application, you should know the name and phone number of your Fire District, and also the street address, township/range/section, parcel number, or latitude/longitude identifying the location of the property where the burning will occur.

    For applications submitted in person, payment may be made at the front desk and the permit will be issued immediately.  PDEQ is located at 33 N. Stone Avenue (southwest corner of Stone Avenue & Pennington Street), 7th Floor.  Payment can be made by credit card (Mastercard or Visa), cash or check.

    Apply by Mail or Fax for an Open Burning Permit

    To apply by email, mail or fax, you may download and print the application.

    Mail or fax - Download and complete the application.  Mail or fax to:

    Pima County Department of Environmental Quality
    33 N. Stone Avenue
    Suite 700
    Tucson, AZ  85701
    Fax:  (520) 838-7432

    PDEQ will call or email you when the application is received.  You may provide payment at that time by credit card or at a later date by any of the following methods:

    • Provide payment by phone using a credit card by calling (520) 724-7400
    • Pay in person at 33 N. Stone Avenue, Suite 700 (7th Floor) using cash, check or credit card
    • Pay by mailing a check to the address shown above

    PDEQ will email you your permit if a valid email address is provided, otherwise your permit and receipt will be mailed to you.  If you pay in person, your permit and receipt may be obtained immediately at the front desk.

    Fee Schedule for Open Burning Permits

    Use the Fee Schedule to determine the cost for the specific burning you will be conducting. Fees for Open Burning Permits are based on:

    • Whether the burning is residential or construction/agricultural
    • The number of days planned for the burning

      Table 17.12.530
      Sub-schedule Permit Activity Permit Fee
      A Residential Burning $30
      B Commercial/Agricultural Burning $100
    1. Sub-schedule for identification only.
    2. The term of a residential burning permit shall not exceed three (3) consecutive or nonconsecutive days within a 30-day period.
    3. The term of a construction or agricultural burning permit shall not exceed 90 days, with no limitation on days of burning within the 90-day term.

    Cash, Check, Debit/Credit Mastercard or Visa Accepted

    Follow UsShare this page

    Department of Environmental Quality

    33 N. Stone Ave., Suite 700
    Tucson, AZ 85701

    Phone: (520) 724-7400
    Fax: (520) 838-7432

    Department Home Page
    Department News
    Department Hours
    Department Directory
    Department Feedback Form
    Report a problem
    Department Calendar
    Boards, Commissions and Committees
    Rules and Regulations
    Reports and Publications
    Department Forms