Health Alert:   COVID-19 Transmission Level:   HIGH   More information
Get vaccinated.
  • Increase font size
  • Decrease font size
  • Print
  • RSS
  • Plaintiff Instructions - Small Claims



    Print the Summons/Complaint form and complete as instructed below.  This form is also available at the courthouse.


    Plaintiff: Fill out your name, address, and phone number, as well as the defendant's name, address and phone number. It's important that you name the correct party. The defendant may be an individual, landlord, corporation or business.
    • Individuals: If your lawsuit is against someone who is married, you must also name that person's spouse as a defendant because of Arizona's community property law. Most property and income acquired by a married couple during the marriage belongs to both of them equally. If you do not know the name of the spouse, or are not sure whether the person is married, use the names "Jane Doe" Smith or "John Doe" Smith. If you do not name the spouse and you win your lawsuit, you will not be able to garnish the unnamed defendant's wages or to collect your judgment out of any community bank accounts or property.
    • Landlords: If the lawsuit is against your landlord, the defendant is the individual or corporation listed on the lease. To find the property owner's name and address, contact the County Assessor's office at (520) 724-8636 or on line at
    • Corporations: The Corporation is the defendant, but the complaint is served to the statutory agent. Find out the name and address of the corporation's statutory agent by contacting the Arizona Corporation Commission, (520) 628-6560, located at 400 W. Congress, Suite 221, Tucson, Arizona. Every corporation authorized to do business in this state must appoint a statutory agent who is authorized to accept service of lawsuits on the corporation's behalf.
    • Businesses: You can find out who holds the license and who owns the business by visiting the City of Tucson Business License Office at City Hall, 255 W. Alameda, first floor, Tucson, Arizona.


    Complete items 1-4. 


    File the complaint at the Green Valley Justice Court.  There is a $35 filing fee payable by cash, personal check, cashier's check, Visa or MasterCard. The clerk will assign a case number at the time of filing.


    You are required by law to serve the complaint to the defendant notifying him/her that an action has been filed. If you are suing more than one person, you must serve a separate copy of the summons and complaint to each defendant. Serve the original to one defendant and make photocopies to serve to the others.

    The easiest and least expensive method for serving the complaint is by mailing it to the defendant certified mail, return receipt requested, restricted delivery. Service by certified mail is handled at any post office. The postal service will require the defendant to sign for the letter on a green postcard. The postcard will be returned to you as your receipt that the complaint was received by the defendant. A delivery receipt from the postal service web page is also acceptable. You must file this postcard or receipt with the court, either in person or by first class mail. NOTE: If you file your complaint on-line, the court will return the paperwork to you to serve to the defendant.

    If the defendant refuses or fails to sign for the certified mail, you will have to serve him or her using a process server or constable. You may contact the constable's office at 724-5442. Process servers can be found in the local yellow pages or online at The cost of hiring a constable or process server will be added to your judgment if you win the lawsuit, along with the cost of filing the complaint.

    If you attempt to serve the defendant by certified mail and it is returned to you by the post office as unclaimed, you will need to take the unopened envelop to the court. The court clerk will open the envelope and issue a replacement summons which you will then provide to the process server or constable for delivery to the defendant.

    What Happens After the Defendant Has Been Served

    The defendant has twenty (20) calendar days after being served with the complaint to respond. The defendant's response is called an answer. If the defendant is served by certified mail, the 20-day response period begins when the defendant signs the green certified mail postcard. If the date on the green postcard is missing or illegible, the time begins when you file the return receipt with the court. 

    When the defendant answers (responds) the court will assign your case a hearing date within sixty (60) days of the defendant's response. The defendant may also file a counterclaim, meaning s/he could in turn file a suit against you.

    If you do not file an answer to the counterclaim, judgment by default may be entered against you. If you choose to go to hearing, the hearing date will be set within sixty (60) days of your response. In this instance there are now two claims before the court: the original complaint that you filed against the defendant and the counterclaim the defendant filed against you.

    If the defendant fails to answer the complaint (respond), you can file a default judgment packet on or after the 21st day. The fee for filing a default is $28. You must mail this form, First Class mail, to the defendant the same day you file it and if s/he fails to answer in ten (10) or more business days, the Court will generally enter a default judgment, finding in your favor.

    Note: You can always settle your case outside of court up until the day of hearing. If you arrive at an agreement with the defendant, you must contact the court and file a dismissal form. The dismissal form must also be signed by the defendant if s/he has filed an answer with the court.
    Follow UsShare this page
    Justice Court - Green Valley

    601 N. La Cañada Drive
    Green Valley, AZ 85614

    Phone: (520) 222-0200
    Fax: (520) 648-2235 
    No-Reply Email: GVJC@COURTS.AZ.GOV 

    Department Home Page
    Department Hours
    Department Directory