Pima County Logo

Building 110 - Foreman's House


Building 110 - Foreman's House, before rehabilitationPossibly the oldest surviving building on the ranch, this traditional Sonoran-style building was common in the latter half of the 1800s, although the date of construction is not known. The building contains an original portion, and an eastern addition constructed sometime prior to 1924. The result is a linear residence made up of a series of single rooms, containing 1,565 sq ft of interior living space.

Earliest photographs published in 1924 show the building with a full-length, north-facing shade ramada structure covered with palm thatch. After this, the earlier ramada was replaced with a deep, full-length shed roof enclosed with insect screen on the sides, providing a protected outdoor living area for the foreman and his family. The house also had its own chicken-coop, orchard, and vegetable garden. Concrete floors and interior plumbing came later. The size of the house is, perhaps, indicative of the importance placed by the ranch owner in having a ranch foreman responsible for successfully carrying out his wishes.

Although being only one story in height, the walls are some 18 feet tall. The purpose of such wall-height was to aid in cooling the building during summer months. Even today, the temperature inside the Foreman’s house can be 5 – 8 degrees Farenheit cooler than outside, aided by the thickness of the adobe.

  • Excerpt from Poster Frost's Canoa Ranch Master Plan Background Report (April 2006)

Function per 2007 Master Plan

Building 110 - Foreman's House, after rehabilitationThe rehabilitation of the building occurred between 2010 and 2011. The rehabilitated building will serve as a Ranching Museum of the Spanich and Mexican Era.

Excerpt from the Canoa Ranch Master Plan Final Report, Poster Frost Associates, 2007:

"This building will showcase activity and history pertaining to this region’s Spanish and Mexican Era ranching. Exhibits will trace the evolution of ranching, from the early introduction of cattle by the Spanish in the 17th and 18th Centuries, through the establishment of Spanish and Mexican Land Grants in the early to mid 19th Century. The petitioning of the Mexican government by the Ortiz brothers in 1821 to establish the San Ignacio de la Canoa Land Grant, followed by their subsequent struggles to establish clear title to the land while facing increased Apache hostility, is critical to understanding the history of ranching at Canoa.The interpretation of ranching practices can be enhanced by the collection and display of vaquero artifacts and horse equipment.

Furthermore, this well-preserved example of a traditional Sonoran building will be used for interpreting Spanish and Mexican building practices. This building displays early responses to building in this climate, including a linear arrangement of spaces, one room deep, a continuous shaded porch for circulation and gathering, thick adobe walls, high ceilings, and a flat roof with canales."