Sewer Connections

Sewer Graphic Thumbnail
The private sewer pipe connecting a house or business to the public sewer in the street or alley is owned by the property owner, up to and including the point of connection to the public sewer pipe. It is the responsibility of the property owner to maintain the private pipe and protect it from damage caused by roots, grease, etc.

Connection Records

This page shows sewer connection information as determined by Pima County Regional Wastewater Reclamation Department database records. While these records are believed to be accurate, a field dye test is required to know connection status with absolute accuracy. Many valid connections are not shown. In these cases, our records indicate that further research is needed. When a connection is not found here, users should fill out and send to us the "Request for Verification of Sewer" form:
  • Online 
  • Fax
  • or Call (520) 724-6602

Two areas in Pima County are not included in our records because they are not part of the Publicly Owned Treatment Works (sanitary sewer system and treatment plants) owned and operated by Pima County. The excluded areas are the Ajo area and the Rancho Sahuarita area in the Town of Sahuarita. For Rancho Sahuarita, call (520) 399-1105 for sewer verification.

Our data comes from a number of different sources. Many of the records are very old; others have come to us second or third hand. Some inherited records are incomplete or inaccurate.

Connection data was collected from various agencies that administered portions of the sanitary sewage collection system over the years. In 1979, an Intergovernmental Agreement entered into by the Pima County Regional Wastewater Reclamation Department (PCRWRD) and the City of Tucson (COT) directed that PCRWRD become the sole authority of the sanitary sewer system. This new agreement transferred all of the COT's connection records to Pima County. Some of the data received during that transfer dated back to the early 1900s. For a complete history of the evolution of the sanitary sewer system in Pima County, see Sanitary Sewer History.

While we make every effort to provide the best information, we do not guarantee accuracy. Read our disclaimer prior to using information from our database.

The Connection Data Provided Herein Is Not To Be Used For Bluestake Purposes.

201 N. Stone Ave., 1st Fl.
Tucson, AZ 85701
Phone: (520) 724-6602
Fax: (520) 770-4157
If you have any questions, contact the Pima County Regional Wastewater Reclamation Department Construction Permits and Records Unit at:

How can I get information about my sewer connection? Where is my clean-out located?

Sewer connections can now be searched online using our Connection Records database. If you can't locate your record, you can make a request for information using the Request for Verification of Sewer Connection form; this can be faxed or delivered to the RWRD Sewer Connections office. Staff will then access the database and research whether a house is connected.

Records of clean-out locations are also available by fax or phone. (Information about clean-out locations is currently under construction in the online database.) Most questions can be answered by phone.

What if there is no record and I need to know if I'm connected to the sewer?

A dye test is needed to verify connection to the sanitary sewer system. Occasionally there is no record of a finalized sewer permit on file, because the permit was not recorded, not obtained, or not inspected.

Many lenders require proof of connection to the sewer. Without a finalized permit on file with Pima County a dye test is the only other form of proof.

Ordinance 2004-11, 13.24.200, G, Dye Testing

How much does a dye test cost?

A dye test costs $207 and if there is more than one unit to be tested at the same time each additional unit is $23. For example, a duplex would cost $230 if the owner decided to test each unit.

Ordinance 2004-11, 13.24.200, G, Dye Testing

How long does it take to get a dye test?

We ask that you give us two weeks leeway to get the dye test set up and performed. Our schedule is dependent on operations workload and emergencies come first.

What if I have a septic system and need information?

For septic system design and recertification questions, contact Pima County Development Services at (520) 724-6490.

How do I get a permit to connect a house connection sewer (HCS) to the sewer system?

New connections to the public sewer require a Connection To Existing Sewer Permit application and payment of a sewer connection fee. If the physical connection is to a manhole or large sewer pipe, a Small Activity Construction Permit will also be required for inspection staff to observe the connection. If you are moving a connection point for an existing structure only, a Small Activity Construction Permit is required.

What if my connection to the public sewer (HCS) is damaged and needs repair?

Property owners are responsible for the maintenance, repair, and replacement of house connection sewers from the structure to the point of connection to the public sewer. In certain situations, RWRD may repair the damaged portion of the HCS located within the public right-of-way. Please contact the Conveyance Division through central reception at (520) 724-3400 for more information.

Title 13

Public Services of the Pima County Code includes ordinances governing wastewater management. The Pima County Code is subject to change. HTML may not display some symbols properly. The most recent ordinances amending the Pima County Code may be found in the Clerk of the Board's office and, when available online. Use the on-line version for reference only.

Follow Wastewater Reclamation on Social MediaShare the Vector (Roach) Control page.

Wastewater Reclamation

201 N. Stone Ave., 8th Fl.
Tucson, AZ 85701

(520) 724-6500

Sewer Emergencies

(520) 724-3400

Wastewater Reclamation Department Home Page
Wastewater Reclamation Department News
Wastewater Reclamation Department Directory
Send Wastewater Reclamation Feedback
Wastewater Reclamation Boards, Commissions and Committees
Appeal Sewer Bill
Report an Odor to Wastewater Reclamation
Wastewater Reclamation Permitting
Wastewater Reclamation Regulatory Bill of Rights