Pima County Logo

Building 109 - Employee's Residence

Description

Building 109 - Employee's Residence, before rehabilitationConstructed in stages over several decades, the original portion of the Employee’s Residence contained barely 280 sq ft, and may have been a combination of bedroom, living room and kitchen, constructed around 1915. After 1935, the courtyard between this structure and the Utility Building to the west (Building 107) was in-filled and enclosed to make a bedroom with a cold water shower stall, and later, the toilet room was added to the east. The completed 890 sq ft building consists of living room/kitchen, a toilet room, and a bedroom with a shower stall. The walls are lime plastered adobe, and the floor is concrete. Many of the materials used in construction were recycled from other buildings, or made on site.

During World War II under the U.S. Government’s Bracero Program, Canoa Ranch was one of many that employed immigrant Mexican ranch hands to help offset the loss of skilled American ranch labor serving in the armed forces. One of these workers, whose last name was Grijalva, lived in this building. His son, Raúl M. Grijalva, was born in the US (in February1948), and lived here until he was about five years old. Raúl later entered public service, and is currently serving his fifth term as a member of the United States Congress (District 7).

  • Excerpt from Poster Frost's Canoa Ranch Master Plan Background Report (April 2006)

Function per 2007 Master Plan

Building 109 - Employee's Residence, after rehabilitationThe rehabilitation of the building's exterior occurred between 2007 and 2008. The rehabilitated building will be used as a Ranch Hand Family House Museum, to interpret life of a 20th century family working on the ranch.