Pima County Logo

Building 104 - "The Long House", Howell Manning Jr. House

Description

Building 104 - 'The Long House', Howell Manning Jr. House, before rehabilitationThe adobe residence is approximately 3,500 square feet in size, and combines a house built in 1935 with a 1948 addition. Both portions of the building are believed to have been designed by the Tucson architect, John Smith. 

Howell Manning Sr. constructed the original house for his two sons, Marklan, and Howell Jr. in 1935. It consisted of two bedrooms either side of a shared bathroom, and a deep, northeast-facing open porch. When Howell Jr. married in 1948, the house was expanded to the north, creating a family home for Howell Jr. with his new bride, Deezie. The porch east of the bedrooms was enclosed to become a sunroom, and a new main entrance added with a breezeway to an enclosed courtyard, located on the west side. Also added were a large living room, kitchen, and utility spaces.

Although the house is constructed from adobe, the foundation and floors are concrete, and the windows made of steel. Like the Manning Sr. House opposite, the gable roof is a departure from the Sonoran style buildings elsewhere in the ranch headquarters, and covered with cedar wood shakes.

  • Excerpt from Poster Frost's Canoa Ranch Master Plan Background Report (April 2006)

Function per 2007 Master Plan

Building 104 - 'The Long House', Howell Manning Jr. House, after rehabilitationThe rehabilitation of the building's exterior occurred between 2008 and 2009. Until a purpose-built visitor center is constructed, the Howell Manning Jr. House will serve as an interim orientation and visitor space, yet still have much of the 1950’s appearance. Later, the house will serve as the Ranch Owner’s Museum. Furnishings, some original, will help represent life as it was at that time, and interior spaces will contain displays and opportunities for interpretation. Historic plants will be replanted both inside and outside.