Pima County Logo
  • Increase font size
  • Decrease font size
  • Print
  • RSS
  • Special collection, new lake part of featured attractions at Canoa Ranch Heritage Fair March 3

    Feb 21, 2018 | Read More News
    Share this page
    Soak up some Western history, shop for antiques and collectibles and stroll around the newly restored Canoa Lake at the spring Heritage Fair at Historic Canoa Ranch 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, March 3. The event, which is free and open to the public, is sponsored by Pima County Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation

    Visitors can view farming equipment, kitchen utensils, even an old still from the western heritage collection of George Redondo Proctor, a local cattle rancher whose father, Charles A. Proctor, Folklorico dancerswas foreman of the ranch back in 1875 when Frederick Maish and Thomas Driscoll owned it. The pair bought the ranch from Tomas and Ignacio Ortiz who purchased the 17,000-acre San Ignacio de la Canoa Spanish land grant in 1820. 

    Volunteers have spent months cataloging thousands of items that will be displayed in the Foreman’s House, the oldest building on the ranch, which is now fully restored.

    “Over the last several months, the ranch has been filled with boxes and boxes of items, all labeled and placed in inventory,” noted Valerie Samoy, special staff assistant. “Volunteers have been itemizing, cataloging and putting all that data into a spreadsheet, preserving the past.”

    Two permanent exhibits feature Mexicano Vaquero families who lived and worked at the ranch and an Anza Family exhibit paying tribute to Spanish Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza who led a 240-person expedition through Canoa Ranch on the way to San Francisco.

    Vendors selling antiques, collectibles, local produce and various arts and crafts will participate in the event. Ballet folklorico dancers will perform throughout the day (beginning at 10 a.m.).

    The park is named for Arizona Congressman Raúl Grijalva, who was raised at the ranch and championed its preservation. Canoa Ranch was preserved by Pima County as a 4,800- acre remnant of the original 1821 San Ignacio de la Canoa Spanish land grant that covered 17,000 acres and much of what is now Green Valley and Sahuarita. 

    The ranch is located at 5375 S. I-19 Frontage Road, exit 56 off of Interstate 19.