• Increase font size
  • Decrease font size
  • Print
  • RSS
  • CR4.04 Fort Lowell Acquisition - Adkins Steel Acquisition

    Total Actual Cost: $1,581,468
    Project Number: CSUFTLOWL
    Funding Sources: 2004 General Obligation Bonds
    Completion Date: June 2016 
    Managing Dept.: Sustainability & Conservation: Cultural Resources & Historic Preservation
    Project Map: GIS Map
    Fort Lowell was a supply base for the US Army during the “Apache Campaigns” from 1873 to 1891, serving to protect settlers, freighters, and ranchers from raiding. The Adkins parcel located at the SW corner of Ft. Lowell and Craycroft roads was acquired to ensure the historic buildings and ruins were preserved or restored for inclusion in Fort Lowell Park  below (looking west) in the Master Plan.

    Acquisition of the Adkins parcel allowed the restoration of Officers’ Quarters No.3 and the construction of roofed protective structures over ruins of two other officers’ quarters. As shown in the Fort Lowell master plan, the restoration is intended to replicate the form of all the historic fort buildings and parade grounds for public use and enjoyment and fully interpret the site.  This effort is planned for future years with future funding.
    Ft Lowell Plan mapOfficers' Quarters No.2 restoredOfficers' Quarters No.3 restoredSan Pedro Chapel restored