• Increase font size
  • Decrease font size
  • Print
  • RSS
  • CR4.02 Canoa Ranch Buildings Rehabilitation

    Total Actual Cost: $992,594
    Project Number:  CSUCRBLDG
    Funding Sources: 2004 General Obligations Bonds
    Completion Date: December 2014 
    Managing Dept.: Office of Sustainability & Historic Preservation 
    Project Map: GIS Map

    Canoa Ranch is a county-owned, approximately 4,800-acre site located in Amado, south of Green Valley. First named “San Ignacio de la Canoa”, a former Spanish Land Grant (1821).

    The historic Canoa Ranch complex, constructed between the 1870s and expanded greatly by the Manning family from about 1900 to the 1950s, is comprised of some 12 buildings including residences, ranch buildings, and utility structures,  Enclosing walls, corrals, and other infrastructure also comprise the headquarters.

    In 1997, voters passed the first bond, which included planning and stabilization, and a second bond was approved in 2004 for a second phase of work to rehabilitate the buildings. Much of this work involved restoration and rehabilitation of the exteriors of buildings including structural repairs to roofs, foundations and walls. Several buildings are fully rehabilitated, including a former garage in the Manning compound that was adaptively reused and modified for public restrooms. Canoa Ranch opened to the public for tours in March 2013, and work concluded in 2014.

    Manning Ranch officeHowell Manning ResidenceRanch Utility Building


    Follow UsShare or bookmark this page

    Pima County Bonds

    (520) 724-8450


    Department Home
    Bond News
    Department Directory
    Feedback
    Boards, Commissions and Committees